AtomVie, strives at all times to provide services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities. This policy outlines the Company’s plan on meeting the requirements of the Customer Service Standard of the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
This policy is available in alternate formats upon request.
AtomVie employees will communicate to persons with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
AtomVie will ensure that all employees receive training as required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service. In addition, training will be provided to employees as part-of New Hire Orientation and on a continual basis as required, such as when changes are made to this Accessible Customer Service Policy.Training will include:
- A review of the purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service;
- Information about AtomVie’s policies, procedures and guidelines pertaining to the provision of services to customers with disabilities;
- How to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disabilities;
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing our services or resources;
- How to interact with persons with disabilities who use assistive devices or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person;
All employees, volunteers, and third parties will provide service that respects the dignity and independence of customers with disabilities. This includes:
- Communication with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability;
- Serving people with disabilities in a way that takes into account their use of assistive devices (i.e. wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, white canes);
- Providing information in an accessible format or with communication supports to all customers upon request;
- Welcoming people who are accompanied by a service animal or a support person on our premises and where permissible by law.
- Assistive Devices:
AtomVie is committed to serving persons with disabilities who use assistive devices to obtain and benefit from our services. Through the completion of training, employees will familiarize themselves with the various assistive devices that may be used by customers. Where an employee is not familiar with the assistive device, he/she will consult with the customer and/or immediately refer the matter to the respective Department Head who will be vested with the responsibility to achieve the necessary customer service as quickly as reasonably possible.
- Use of Service Animals and Support Persons:
Persons with disabilities may bring their service animal on the parts of our premises that are open to our customers or other third parties, and the animal is not otherwise excluded by law. AtomVie will ensure that all employees, including volunteers and third parties, dealing with customers are trained in how to interact with persons with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal. It is the responsibility of the person with a service animal to control the animal at all times. When we cannot easily identify that an animal is a service animal, our staff may ask a person to provide documentation (template, letter or form) from a regulated health professional that confirms the person needs the service animal for reasons relating to their disability.Any person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter the Company’s premises open to customers or other third parties with his or her support person. At no time will a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on the Company’s premises. Consent from the person with a disability is required when communicating private issues related to the person with a disability, in the presence of a support person.
- Notice of Temporary Disruptions:
AtomVie will make reasonable effort to provide customers with notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services normally used by persons with disabilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, how long the disruption is expected to last, and a description of any alternative facilities or services, if available.This notice will be provided in accessible formats upon request and will be displayed prominently via e-mail and at the Nuclear Research Building Lobby entrance.
- Feedback Process:
AtomVie welcomes feedback, including feedback in the delivery of services to persons with disabilities. Customers can submit feedback to Human Resources. Customers can expect to hear back in 7 – 10 business days. Complaints will be addressed according to the Company’s regular complaint management procedures.
- Modification to this or Other Policies:
AtomVie is committed to developing customer service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities. Therefore, no change will be made to this policy before considering the impact on persons with disabilities. Any Company policy that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities will be modified or removed.
- Questions about the Policy:
This policy exists to achieve service excellence to customers with disabilities. If anyone has a question about this policy, please contact your manager and/or Human Resources.
INTEGRATED ACCESSIBILITY STANDARDS POLICY
The purpose of this AtomVie Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation Policy (the “Policy”) is to set out how AtomVie achieves and will achieve accessibility through meeting the requirements of Ontario Regulation 191/11 – Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation (the “IASR”).
The IASR establishes the accessibility standards and compliance timeframes for each of information and communications, employment, transportation and the design of public spaces.
The requirements in the standards set out in the IASR are not a replacement or a substitution for the requirements established under the Human Rights Code.
This Policy is not intended to replace or supersede the AtomVie Accessible Customer Service Policy. It will be reviewed and amended, as required, if and when additional accessibility related regulations are enacted by the Government of Ontario and if and when changes are made to the legislative framework governing accessibility.
AtomVie is committed to identifying, eliminating and preventing barriers and increasing accessibility for persons with disabilities in the areas of information, communications, employment, and the design of public space.
AtomVie is governed by this policy as well as the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service Policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, in meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities.
AtomVie is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities in a timely manner and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
AtomVie is committed to training staff on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on accessibility aspects of the Human Rights Code that apply to persons with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Information and communications
AtomVie is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. When asked, we will provide information and communications materials in accessible formats or with communication supports. This includes publicly available information about our services and facilities, as well as publicly available emergency information. AtomVie will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
AtomVie will notify the public and staff that, when requested, we will accommodate disabilities during recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. If needed, we will provide customized workplace emergency information to employees who have a disability. If using performance management, career development and redeployment processes, we will take into account the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities.
Design of Public Spaces
AtomVie will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces such as accessible off street parking and service-related elements like service counters and waiting areas.
Any of our policies that do not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
AtomVie recognizes the diversity of its workforce and is committed to ensuring that you are able to effectively and efficiently use your skills and experience to contribute to the organization’s performance and service delivery. The objective of this policy is to make the work environment inclusive and non-discriminatory and to establish effective mechanisms for responding to individual accommodation needs. This policy addresses our responsibilities under the Canadian Human Rights Act (CHRA) and Ontario’s accessibility laws and acknowledges our duty as an employer to provide individual accommodation.
Guidelines for Requesting Workplace Accommodation
The following steps will be taken for individual workplace accommodation requests:
- Step One: A request (verbal or written) is made to your manager and Human Resources. All requests will be responded to in a timely, confidential and sensitive manner.
- Step Two: Once a request is received, your manager will meet with you to confirm receipt of the request and to review the accommodation needs. AtomVie will seek external expertise or specialist advice, at its sole discretion, where the request involves areas outside its expertise.
- Step Three: Once the review is complete, AtomVie will ensure that, where deemed necessary and approved, it provides, in a timely and effective way, accommodation specific to an individual’s needs.
- Step Four: A follow-up may be conducted by your manager to ensure that the accommodation continues to meet the individual’s needs.
As part of a request for individual workplace accommodation, you:
- are responsible for requesting accommodation, preferably in writing;
- are responsible for providing reports or medical information including limitations, specifically relevant to the process of identifying appropriate accommodation;
- will be required to co-operate with external expertise or specialists who may be asked for advice in order to determine appropriate accommodation.
When evaluating workplace accommodation, it is AtomVie’s goal to ensure that you receive optimal support throughout the duration of your accommodation, whether it is for a short period of time or longer.
Where a particular means of accommodation is requested, and it has been found that it cannot be met, every reasonable effort will be made to provide alternative accommodation.
All documents relating to specific requests for accommodation will be kept confidential and will only be disclosed with your consent. AtomVie will comply with all requirements of the Privacy Act to protect your personal information. When notified by applicants of the need for accommodation, AtomVie will assist the applicant in identifying the most suitable accommodation.